While preparing for my recent abstract landscape workshops I decided to do a bunch of small paintings on paper to show my students various techniques and compositional styles. I really discovered the benefits of painting several studies in succession.
- Safe – not a big commitment
- It allows us to explore composition
- The freedom to try new and different colour palettes
- Try different techniques and tools
- Improves painting skills by working quickly
- Can be done when we don’t have a lot of time to paint
- Ideas for future paintings
- Discovering new techniques
Here is a sampling of some of them.